Sijun Forums Forum Index
My Profile Search Who's Online Member List FAQ Register Login Sijun Forums Forum Index

Sijun Forums Forum Index >> Random Musings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author   Topic : "Marvel artist Olivier Coipel busted for tracing!"
Visigothan

Member #

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:28 pm     Reply with quote
Tracing is an issue that's come up several times on this forum, and is definately not a pretty subject every time it's been approached.

Some feel that tracing is excuseable, and even an accepted form of producing "art", instead of actually learning the skills to draw a piece from dead-reckoning alone. Others liken the grid technique for portraits (which I use) to tracing, but, that's a different story.

Here, we have an a blatantly obvious tracing job done by Olivier Coipel of Marvel Comics. See this thread on Ars Technica:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=34709834&m=606003882731&r=862007882731

These two comparison images (not made by me) illustrate the point rather well.

...and an overlay! Each image in the opposite end of the spectrum... Notice how even the wallpaper lines up. It looks like what he did was simply pop that photo into Photoshop, make a new layer, and start tracing.

Shame, Olivier. Shame.
Ragnarok

Member #

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:06 pm     Reply with quote
It's the king Juan Carlos I! Lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Visigothan

Member #

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:11 pm     Reply with quote
I laughed. Very Happy
Mikko K

Member #

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:39 am     Reply with quote
The first ever Spawn cover by mr. McFarlane was actually almost traced from a certain Warhammer Fantasy Battle illustration.. Totally laughable, about the only thing that was changed was that Spawn didn't have a sword like the original vampire did.
Freddio
Administrator

Member #

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:41 am     Reply with quote
Yea its a bit strange that he would do that.
I'm assuming that he is actually a very talented illustrator and just traced to speed up the whole process.

Though one would argue if he was talented he would be just as fast freehand.
Samburger

Member #

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:51 pm     Reply with quote
Yeah, if tracing worked for norman rockwell... it can work for anyone as far as im concerned.
Giant Hamster

Member #

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:08 pm     Reply with quote
Norman Rockwell is a newb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Big Harf

Member #

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:26 pm     Reply with quote
Tracing can be a good thing. Ask Rosalyn Yalow.
Visigothan

Member #

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:40 pm     Reply with quote
Sorry, what?

Rosalyn Yalow, the Nobel Prize winner?

...Who isn't an artist?
sweetums

Member #

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:16 am     Reply with quote
Not only does it happen, it's not that big a deal. Here is an actual page from Natl. Geographic that highlights a very obvious tracing with pride.

Quote:
Scholars of the Donald Duck oeuvre have found that (Carl) Banks used the magazine in more than a dozen comic stories, in settings from ancient Persia to the Everglades, from the Andes to pirate ships at sea.
..."Using the Geographic gave his stories tremendous authenticity," Hamilton says. "He wore it as a badge of honor."

The desire and endeavor to be an ethical and honest graphic artist is all well and good; but, to elevate things to such judgemental evaluations of accepted industry practices, although commendable from an attitude standpoint, is both myopic and self-defeating.

References for cartooning quite often are based upon real photos.

Last edited by sweetums on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpiderGuile

Member #

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:47 am     Reply with quote
Visigothan wrote:
Tracing is an issue that's come up several times on this forum, and is definately not a pretty subject every time it's been approached.

Some feel that tracing is excuseable, and even an accepted form of producing "art", instead of actually learning the skills to draw a piece from dead-reckoning alone. Others liken the grid technique for portraits (which I use) to tracing, but, that's a different story.

Here, we have an a blatantly obvious tracing job done by Olivier Coipel of Marvel Comics. See this thread on Ars Technica:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=34709834&m=606003882731&r=862007882731

These two comparison images (not made by me) illustrate the point rather well.

...and an overlay! Each image in the opposite end of the spectrum... Notice how even the wallpaper lines up. It looks like what he did was simply pop that photo into Photoshop, make a new layer, and start tracing.

Shame, Olivier. Shame.

What is really SHAMEFUL is that you have mistaken Mike Mayhew's House of M art for Olivier Coipel artstyle!!!
It's unacceptable to trash his name like that when you aren't correct about what you say!!!!
Check this http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/news/hom-sketch1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://superblog2.blogspot.com/2005/04/king-of-spain-is-crazy-mutant.html&h=834&w=550&sz=130&hl=fr&start=1&um=1&tbnid=zXD5OE94vanHmM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmike%2Bmayhew%2Bmagneto%2Bhouse%2Bof%2Bm%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dfr%26sa%3DN
Next time, be sure of your information and bite your tongue before opening your mouth!!!!
Have a niceday, buddy! Wink
Mikko K

Member #

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:57 am     Reply with quote
"Bring out yer dead!" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sijun Forums Forum Index -> Random Musings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: